William diGiorgio, aka Vegan Diet Guy, will demo this recipe at VegFest Oahu 2018. (He’ll also be showing how to make Zucchini Bread Oatmeal.)
Zucchini Oatmeal Patties
- 1 large zucchini, grated (about 3 1/2 – 4 cups)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 of pepper)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (small pinch)
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Place grated zucchini into a colander, sprinkle with sea salt, and allow to rest for 20 to 30 minutes. Squeeze out remaining liquid with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flaxseed meal and water. Allow to sit and thicken for 3 minutes. Add zucchini, red bell pepper, garlic, chives, Dijon, thyme, pepper, and red pepper flakes to the bowl, and stir to combine. Add the brown rice flour 1/2 at a time to zucchini mixture, and stir until combined and the batter starts to come together in the bowl.
- Divide batter into 8 equal sections. Form into 8 patties and refrigerate for 1 hour. Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Gently add zucchini cakes to the pan and cook until browned, about 6 minutes per side. Drain zucchini cakes on a paper towel for 2 to 3 minutes, and serve.
Leave a Reply