This unique dish can be a hearty breakfast item. Doctors are recommending that we all eat more oatmeal as it does wonders for our colon health. This recipe is demonstrated at VegFest Oahu 2018 by William diGiorgio, the Vegan Diet Guy. See his bio here.
Zucchini Bread Oatmeal
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed finely grated zucchini (1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or a dash of ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup or 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add all of the oatmeal ingredients except for the vanilla to a medium pot and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Cook uncovered for 7 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Adjust spices and sweetener to taste, if desired.
- Divide the oatmeal into bowls and top with your desired toppings (nuts, dates, sugar, cinnamon, etc).
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.