This healthy dish will be your go-to breakfast and has zero cholesterol and full of protein. It is the demo dish at VegFest 2018 by Kimberly Oshita, a Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator at Kaiser Permanente. See her bio here.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 med potato, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 bunch kale, rough chop
- 1/4c low sodium vegetable stock + more as needed
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 TB nutritional yeast
- 1 TB garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 TB lemon juice
- 1 tsp shoyu
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp black salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1×14-oz block extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tsp oil. Once oil is hot, saute onion and garlic.
- At the same time, boil the potato in a separate pot for 3 minutes. Drain the potato and add to the onion and garlic. Add the 1/4 cup vegetable stock.
- Add the crumbled tofu and turn the heat to low. Add the ¼ tsp turmeric and distribute until tofu is a yellow color. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the spices, lemon juice and shoyu. Add the chopped kale and black beans. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.