This simple but extremely satisfying dish is a plant-based twist on a traditional Hawaiian squid luau. This homey version of the Down to Earth deli’s Spinach Luau makes an excellent side dish for any meal. It will be demoed at VegFest 2018 by Madeline Kammerer, Community Outreach Assistant, Down to Earth Organic & Natural. See her bio here.
Makes 4-5 servings.
- 2 Tablespoons macadamia nut oil or coconut oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Maui onion, diced
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian bouillon paste or 1 bouillon cube
- 1 pound fresh ready-to-use spinach
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, preferably Hawaiian black or pink sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté for about 3-5 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium-low. Add coconut milk and bouillon paste. Stir until paste is dissolved.
- Stir remaining ingredients into pot. Allow mixture to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply