An island favorite, the traditional Loco Moco is made with eggs, beef, whites rice and is filled with fat and cholesterol. But you don’t have to give up your favorite dishes when you go plant-based. Here is a healthier version that has just a much taste with more fiber and nutrients! This dish was presented in our Learning Kitchen 2019 by Chef Paul Onishi, representing our co-Lead Sponsor Down to Earth Organic & Natural. You can read Paul’s bio HERE.
Healthy Loco Moco
Vegan Egg Recipe
- 1-12oz. extra firm tofu
- 2 c. water
- 4 Tbs. VeganEgg Plant Based Egg Replacer
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- In a saucepan, combine water, VeganEgg replacer and turmeric. Crumble the tofu into small pieces resembling scrambled egg * Be careful not to make the pieces too small.
- Add the tofu mixture to the saucepan and mix well until all the tofu is thoroughly coated with the vegan egg mixture.
- Heat the tofu mixture on medium high heat for about 10 minutes mixing constantly to prevent burning. Set aside to cool. Mixture can be refrigerated over night for use the next day.
Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- 3 c. water
- 2 Tbs. Poloku Mushroom Broth Seasoning
- 4-5 tsp. Better Than Bouillon NO Chicken Base
- 1 ½ c. soy, almond or hemp milk
- 1 c. onion thinly sliced
- 1 c. shiitake mushrooms (soaked, boiled and sliced)
- 1 Tbs. garlic, minced
- ¼ c. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1 tsp. ground black or white pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 Tbs. Cornstarch + 4 Tbs. water for thickening
- In a saucepan, combine water, mushroom broth, onions, NO Chicken base, non-dairy milk substitute, onion, shiitake mushrooms, garlic, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower heat and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Assemble Your Loco Moco!!!
- In a bowl, place a ¾ – 1c. scoop of brown rice. Top with a Beyond Burger or meat alternative of your choice. Add the vegan scrambled egg and top with mushroom gravy. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Leave a Reply