Our headlining speaker in the 2016 lineup at our Inspirational Speaker Series tent was Keegan Kuhn, the co-Director of the award-winning documentary, Cowspiracy. In our Press Release to local journalists, we boldly claimed that VegFest Oahu was a place to learn about diet’s link to climate change, and Keegan’s talk was one of the ways we delivered. In this live recording on September 24, 2016, Keegan summarizes the impact that animal agriculture has on climate change and presents well-researched statistics.
Here are some of our favorite quotes from Keegan Kuhn’s talk at VegFest Oahu 2016:
Commenting on the University of Illinois study examining all the world’s grasslands that are now used for cattle that were formerly forests and analyzing what would happen if they allowed the forest to grow back, he says: “So just that alone – literally removing grass fed beef from what was once forest and allowing the forest to come back we would be able to halt climate change… Why aren’t we hearing from this from the United Nations? Why isn’t this being implemented?” (Starts at Timecode: 14:45).
Questions that Keegan answers in the video:
- Since Cowspiracy came out has there been any update from any of the environmental organizations in the film who had remained silent about animal agriculture? (Starts at Timecode 27:13).
- The University of Hawaii divested from fossil fuels, have you seen anything like that in any University divesting from animal agriculture? (Starts at Timecode 28:57).
- What has been the rebuttal from the cattle industry about the Cowspiracy film? (Starts at Timecode 29:53).
- What’s the tipping point before we see a massive shift happen in a positive direction? (Starts at Timecode 31:15).
- What would the world look like of we switched from animal agriculture to plant-based agriculture fully? (Starts at Timecode 32:06).