Meet the people who made it all happen in 2016!
Organizing VegFest Oahu is a large effort. Our team is made up entirely of dedicated volunteers working for months to bring this inspiring day to our island community. These are the Everyday Changemakers that are helping make VegFest Oahu a transformational experience for you.
Core Leadership Team
JOY WATERS – Festival Producer
Joy, the entrepreneur behind Positive Media Hawaii, is a relentless optimist on a mission to inspire people to be enthused and engaged citizens. Her passion is creating life-changing media content and events. A vegan foodie and long-time advocate for plant-based living, she produced the TV show Tasty and Meatless long before Hawaii had its first vegetarian restaurant. She is the Organizer of the Oahu Vegan Meetup and Group Leader of the Honolulu PlantPurePod. Joy decided to produce VegFest Oahu because she believes this event will strengthen the local, plant-based community and be the tipping point towards more sustainable local perspectives.
MICHAEL WALL – Festival Director
Michael is a percussionist, public speaker, group facilitator, educator, author, and songsmith in service to empowered learning, nurturing community, and the celebration of Spirit. He is proud to be a vegan, and is deeply committed to compassion for all beings. He is an Advanced Artistic Teaching Partner through the Hawaii State Foundation on Culture and the Art’s Artists in the Schools Program. He is also author of Live Your Dreams and offers Playful Percussion interactive conference presentations and team building workshops for adults. For more on his many projects, visit Creative Living Services.
DOORAE SHIN – Greening Coordinator
Doorae recently received her B.A. in Sustainability Studies at the University of Hawaii. She left her mark on the University by organizing Earth Day festivals, leading the campaign to ban styrofoam from campus, and convincing the University to serve all vegan meals at its annual Sustainability Summit. She now works for the Kokua Hawaii Foundation bringing the Plastic Free Hawaii message to public schools. She is an enthusiastic and valuable asset to the VegFest Oahu organizing team in many capacities and is managing the process of Greening the Event. Read her vegan musings on her blog.
- Victoria Garnier for the beautiful graphic design work for our banners, tent signs, and festival schedules.
- Jaime Lynn Lano for her artist skills in creating our “I pledge to go (more) VEG!” Photo-Op Billboard.
- Donna Lay for creating the Blessing Tree as part of our Aloha Activism projects.
- Tony Querubin for a long day helping with technical assistance for the PowerPoint presentations at the Speaker Series tent.
- Tara Severns for being our Google Forms Goddess.
- MamaT Gonsalves for creative consulting.
- Carol Janezic for outreach with sponsor search and online calendars.